Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Homeless Shelter

I'm grateful to have spent an hour with the children at the homeless shelter tonight. I don't think ANYTHING humbles me more and helps me recognize my many blessings than spending time with kids like that. They have so little and are cold and hungry so much of the time, yet their spirits are pure and beautiful. While the young women of our church group played games with the majority of the children, I noticed a shy little girl in the corner. She resembled the very essence of her name, "Angel." She and I spent most of the time together pretending to cook at the play kitchen, eat a banquet of delicious food, and care for her baby doll. Angel and I became instant friends, as I often do with children, and I magically brought a smile to her lovely face with my silliness. She magically brought a smile to mine, as well. It was precious to share my joyful energy and gifts with her and receives her unique gifts likewise. I didn't want to go when it was time to leave my new friend. When I met her mother, I took her hand in mine, and said, "Thank you for sharing your daughter with us tonight. She is so special." The mother teared up and Angel just beamed up at me.

My cup overfloweth tonight.

What are YOU grateful for?

1 comment:

Rach said...

You are an amazing person. Do you know that? I love your blog, it makes me happy and helps me count my blessings. We are so blessed :)
I'm thankful that my babies never have to be hungry.