Thursday, September 15, 2011

To be my child's teacher

I'm grateful to be my child's teacher. The connections we have been having as I homeschool these two cuties have been precious, and we are are LOVING it. But it's cool to see all the other ways they learn from me, too, including singing, dancing, playing the piano, cooking, cleaning, reading, serving others, swimming, soccer, basketball, even hula hooping. ;) Children are like sponges. It's true. They soak up everything around them, so my goal is to surround my children with goodness, joy, gratitude, service, and lots and lots of engaging learning experiences.

Yesterday, after our French lesson, we went swimming as a family. Soon after we arrived, Wade and I noticed a private swimming instructor, named Jamie. Since our kiddos took group lessons the last two summers, they have become better swimmers with help, but we've been wanting to ensure they're more proficient in the water for both survival and technique. So we asked the kids if they wanted Jamie to teach them one-on-one, too? They both smiled, but then my daughter said, "Mom, why don't you and daddy by our teacher instead." Out of the mouth of babes, there you have it. We looked at each other and said, "Why not?" Wade did swim in high school afterall. He knows technique and can help me know how to teach them more effectively. We then spent the next two hours working on their swim skills and having them go down the big slide, coming out at the end by themselves and swimming completely on their own for 4 feet, then 6 feet, then 8 feet, then 10 feet into our arms. It was awesome! We were proud parents watching them swim on their own. And we're already planning another swim day with the family so they can learn to swim the entire length of the pool soon.

Only 3 more days left to enter the BIG GIVEAWAY!

What are YOU grateful for?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love you! This is an amazing Blog it makes me think of all of the great things i have, you are amazing:)

Ryan Hudson