Monday, July 11, 2011

Surprises After the Work Has Been Done

LinkI'm grateful for surprises after all the work has been done. My kids have been amazing at doing their chores lately. This wasn't always the case, and I often felt like I was the one cleaning up after them every time. But recently, I've been really consistent with my old Love and Logic techniques (ie: "I'll be happy to help you.....after you help me clean up.") I allow the natural consequences to fall into place. They make the mess. They clean it up. Period. Sure, I can join them with music and fun, and clean up time goes faster. But I am NOT doing it for them anymore. So now they're making their beds, putting clothes away, taking dishes to the sink, and cleaning up the playroom better than usual. (HINT: dejunking the toys a couple times a year makes clean up WAY easier. I love Don Aslett and the DI!)

So after weeks of hard work and consistently doing their chores, they earned a visit to the toy store. My daughter picked out a diaper bag full of baby doll accessories and my son picked out (more) cowboy clothes. I say more because he had some at home already, but hey, if it's his soul purpose in life to be a cowboy, then I'm not holding him back. haha Also, when I say I'm grateful for "surprises," I'm referring to that happy, peaceful feeling of accomplishment that comes after the work is done. It just feels good to get the work done, and if I get a new cowboy hat out of it, all the better, right? ;)

What are YOU grateful for?

No comments: