Thursday, July 14, 2011

Interruptions

I'm grateful for interruptions. I say that because I'm not really thrilled about them, but I need to accept them more in my life. ;) This morning, after my 3 mile run, my hubby went to work, my two older children were playing together, and the baby was feeding herself dry cereal in her high chair. So I wanted to take some time for myself and just soak in a bubble bath and meditate. I should have guessed it...within minutes, the children were knocking on the door and continued doing so off and on for the entire half hour with question after question after question. (Can you believe I was so determined to make my nice bath last that long even with all the interruptions???) haha

I realized those interruptions represent my mommyhood. My children need me. As many older and wiser women have shared, "Appreciate your children now. They won't be small forever. You'll miss the noise and the mess (and the interruptions) later on." It's true, while it's still important for me to have "me time" to go running, have girls night out, date night with my husband, read scriptures or another good book, pray, meditate, nap, update my Gratitude Blog, and take my bubble baths, it's all about BALANCE. I also need to be PRESENT to take care of their needs, interruptions and all, amid my housework, "me time," and everything else. I have a feeling in 20 years when my children are grown and gone, I won't have QUITE as many interruptions. (still some interruptions because my adult children and grandchildren will still need me right?)

Somedays, I don't feel like I accomplish much on MY "to do" list because my kids need help cleaning up their room after having dress up parties like the picture above illustrates or another similar interruption occurs. But it's just part of the territory of being a mommy. And for that, I'm grateful.

What are YOU grateful for?

No comments: