Thursday, July 21, 2011

Preserving Memories

I'm grateful for the art of preserving memories. I think it's marvelous that there are so many ways in which to help us remember our special moments: journal writing, scrapbooking, digital scrapbooking, online photo books, pre-made photo albums, just to name a few. I print my family blog each year through Blurb as our family scrapbook, but then honestly I prefer good old fashioned scrapbooking when I'm making books for each of my children. It's like sewing, woodworking, or crafting of another kind. It just feels good to work with my hands, cutting and pressing pictures down onto a page, and creating something aesthetically pleasing.

If I'm determined enough, I can set up shop in front of an old classic chick flick and scrapbook for hours on my own at home. But I get so much more accomplished when I'm with a friend. In the few hours I spent with Carolynn, my cousin, on Tuesday and Kim, my best friend, today, I created 12 full pages, each with 4 -5 pictures on them. I was so excited to scrap several months worth of memories and be on my way to catching up. Yay! I know a lot of my friends have switched to digital scrapbooking, which is awesome and a little tempting. But I've been given so much cute paper for free from friends and family for Christmas or just because they've switched to digital themselves, that it doesn't cost very much for me to continue the old fashioned way. Plus, I'm pretty simple and just slap down two matching pages, border my photos (half the time), add photos, journal a caption or two, and I'm done. Easy peasy! The best part is then having my child join me while looking through their own book, reminding me "all about the time when we..." Precious.

What are YOUR favorite ways to preserve memories? What are YOU grateful for?

3 comments:

*Aliese* said...

I'm a digiscrapper. It was an easy decision to switch because a) everything but the printing is free, b) the books take up for less space--12x12x3 binder for a few months or an 11x13x1 for a whole year, and c) it's archived FOREVER. If something were to happen (Heaven forbid--flood, fire, etc.) my books are still saved and I can just print another one. I was an avid scrapbooker for a good two decades and now I would love to scan all my "old" stuff so it's archived online as well.

*Aliese* said...

Yup! I just print through Blurb because HAH! Costco's $3/page is too pricey for me as well. My books are easily 200-300 pages and the most expensive one I've purchased was $170. And that includes shipping. When you're down here, you're more then welcome to come look at the books to see what they're like!

Catherine said...

Thanks for answering my questions. We'll be in town in September for a week, and I would love to stop by!